Saturday, June 29, 2013

Some Quilling Some Stamping

Last week I ordered a couple of stamps to try some image stamping other than the sentiment ones. While I was making attempts at it, I found this interesting challenge on "Lulupu" and gave it a try. Here's the outcome.
































Both the cards are a standard size of 4.25 * 5.5



















I have used Avery Elle's "Modern Leaves" clear stamp set.






















I started out by stamping the entire front of the card with a leaf stamp in two different colors.






















I then cut strips of 4.25 inch length with variable widths, one such that it would fit the sentiment.






















I attached the strips suitably and finished the card with pearl embellishments.






















I made the second card for a friend's house warming ceremony. I stuck to conventional design for this card and adjoined the stamped leaves with twine so they would resemble a "thoranam" pattern.






















I traced out a picture of Ganesha from one of the wedding cards I had at home.






















I then quilled the entire picture using 1/16th inch strips of paper except the eye which is an adhesive rhinestone.
 





















Finally, glued rhinestones on top of the leaves.


Entering this card to Lulupu's Challenge #13 Lady Stamp-A-Lot.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Quilled Earrings

When I first started quilling I had a checklist of things I wanted to quill within the first few months. As time started to pass the things in the list never materialized and I went ahead doing other stuff. To quill earrings was among that list I made and I'm glad it finally happened.
































The traditional gold earrings found in India had a considerable influence on me while making this project. Hence, having the color gold in the earrings became important to me. So I was on the lookout for the "right" colored strips of gold, by "right" I mean an antique gold color. After searching and not finding one, I decided to go ahead and paint the ivory strips gold.






















For the bottom part of the earrings, I made a circular loop by joining two paper strips of 17 inch length and then filled the insides with a gold colored paper strip using beehive quilling technique by Susan. 
Here's a video of the technique by Pritesh Dagur.






















For the upper part, I made two tight coils by rolling two 17 inch strips of 1/8th inch width into each coil and then painted them gold.






















I used two jump rings of size 6 mm and 4 mm to join the coil with the fish hook.






















Lastly I attached each coil to their respective bases and applied a coat of mod podge.






















Here's a look at the second pair of earrings.